Friday 30 December 2011

Grateful Dead

Brilliant! That's the first word I can dig from my dictionary. I fell in love with GD in 1986 when I borrowed Terrapin Station cassette from my local library in Pori. That song (Terrapin Station) was fabulous. I listened to that many many times. The first side wasn't bad either, especially Estimated Prophet. Okay, most of the GD studio albums are quite crappy but, man, they rock live. Jerry Garcia's guitar is perfect, Bob Weir is a brilliant rhythm guitarist, Phil Lesh play some astonishing bass lines, drummers Kreutzmann and Hart are just great and every dead keyboardist have their role in the line. And I like Donna Godchaux's part in the line-up. GD has allowed their live bootlegs to be seeded, so download as many concerts as possible and enjoy. My favourite GD song? Don't know. There are many: Terrapin Station, New Minglewood Blues, Bertha, Cold Rain And Snow, China Cat Sunflower/I Know You Rider, Playing With A Band, etc. etc. I wish I could be as good guitarist as Jerry was. That's just wishful thinking, but even 10% near him? Hopefully. But here's something you might like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzOyHuRzzq0

I just wish I had seen them performing live.

R.I.P. Pig Pen, Keith, Brent, Vince and... Jerry Garcia.

No comments:

Post a Comment