Friday 30 December 2011

Uisge2011 (12 February 2011)

Thanks to organizers and Gallows Bird (pub in the city of Espoo) for the first Finnish Whisky Festival. Marvelous happening. Lots of different single malt whiskies, including Finnish Old Buck and Teerenpeli. Also lots of Scottish distillery representatives there. I hope there will be Uisge2012 next year somewhere in Finland. I read that there were huge queues in the evening so perhaps a bigger place would suit better next year. But of course this first festival is just about learning. Next time the organizers will be wiser.

I started my Friday afternoon with Old Buck 4th release (6 years old). After that sherry version I notice this as quite different. Very vanilla flavoured. At least to my mouth. Not so good as the previous releases but still not bad at all. I gave 89 points to this. I also tasted that other Finnish distillery product: Teerenpeli 8 years old which was quite fruity with praline notes. Also toffee in the taste. Teerenpeli's whiskies are getting better as they get older. 89 points also to this and I have to say that this is the best Teerenpeli so far I've tasted. Next one was Glen Garioch 1991 (1991/2010) after a nice chat with Morrison-Bowmore's representative. This was very fruity whisky with oranges in the taste. Excellent whisky. And... also 89 points. But don't worry, the next whisky didn't get 89 points. This was Auchroisk 1999 by Duncan Taylor. Grassy, heathery, sweet, fruity and marmalade flavoured whisky. "Only" 84 points. This was the worst of the lot. And let's move on: Bruichladdich 1998 Oloroso and this was a step towards a better whisky. Very winey whisky, especially Madeira wine came to my mind. Sweet and winey aftertaste. 90 points. And the next one was the winner: Highland Park 30 Years Old. Marvelous winey, nutty, toffee and tobacco scented liquid with fruity, winey, salty, honey and spicy taste. Aftertaste was long, winey and fruity. And definitely doesn't need any drop of water innit. 93 points. I ended the whisky tasting with Bruichladdich's Octomore 3_152. Very peaty whisky indeed. What else can you say about it. Nevertheless the peat was overwhelming it still was enjoyable dram. Very dry aftertaste. You feel your throat's just drying. 90 points. Of course I also enjoyed real ale as Gallows Bird have two of that yummy yummy available. Now I drank Dark Star's Hophead and Acorn's Sovereign. Especially the latter was very nice ale.
All in all, I enjoyed this first whisky festival that was held in Finland. Hope we see next year.

Here are couple of links to the pictures of the happening:
http://smokeonthewater-fin.blogspot.com/2011/02/uisge-2011-kuvina.html
http://www.karhut.org/kuvat/smws/Uisge_2011/index.html

Slainte mhath

No comments:

Post a Comment